Submissions/Why the Education programs matter in the Wikimedia movement?
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 6037 - E0
- Title of the submission
Why do Education programs matter in the Wikimedia movement?
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Increasingly, more and more education programs exist around the movement. Led by chapters, user groups or volunteers, we are increasingly promoting formal and non-formal education initiatives with the aim of making Wikipedia a learning tool in different academic spaces. Wikimedia projects which were once seen with suspicion have slowly and steadily gained legitimacy across educational institutions. WEP interventions have resulted in massive increase in reach and readership and has definitely helped in removing the 'Wikipedia Stigma' which was prevalent in many emerging communities.
Why is it so important to involve students in the use of Wikipedia as an educational resource? Taking a look to the different education programs around the movement, what is the impact beyond metrics? Also attempting to critically examine present metrics ability/range to assess the WEP activities
Through this discussion panel we hope to answer these questions as follows:
- Analyze good practices in education from the different programs around the movement
- Analyze the learning of using Wikipedia in the classroom
- Understand the expectations of a primary reader
With the aim to promote the debate around:
- How education programs/initiatives help to improve reach of the Wikimedia movement.
- How Wikipedia as a learning tool helps improve educational skills, which go far beyond the classic evaluation metrics (#articles created/improved, per example).
- How education programs/initiatives means promoting and involving new editors within the movement.
- How education programs promote learning based on the construction of quality knowledge/content.
- How WEP is important for thriving institutional partnerships and generating in-kind support for our movement
- What will attendees take away from this session?
Participants will be able to learn about education initiatives from the Wikimedia movement, and understand the importance of promoting a WEP.
Resources Checklist for a successful WEP initiative
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience? Beginning, intermediate, advanced
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 40 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).