Submissions/Urdu Braille Learning Application for Parents of Visually Impaired Students
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. P-9014
- Title of the submission
- Interactive Urdu Braille Learning System for Parents of Visually Impaired Students
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Muhammad Zahid Iqbal
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Information Technology University, Lahore, Pakistan
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Braille literacy is one of the core pillars of education for visually impaired children. Previous studies have highlighted the importance of Braille for Visually impaired children by suggesting that students who read Braille outside of the classroom have higher reading speed and fluency. In resource –constrained countries, such as Pakistan, the visually impaired students may acquire the knowledge of Urdu Braille at special education schools. However, there is a dearth of resources for the parents of such children, when it comes to learning Urdu Braille. Therefore, we designed a web-based Urdu Braille Translator and interactive Braille learning tool to enhance the Urdu Braille learning experience for parents of visually impaired children. It stresses the aim to encourage parents to motivate their children to read outside the classroom. The usability study of this tool was conducted with 15 parents of the visually impaired students.
- What will attendees take away from this poster?
- It will give me an opportunity to share my research with people around the world. I will explore the research happening in accessibility and get reviews from the people to take my research on next level.
- Theme of presentation
Education for all, Education for Visually impaired, Education for disables, Accessibility
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final? Final
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).