Submissions/The Wikipedia brand: What does it mean to you?
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 2120 - C10
- Title of the submission
- The Wikipedia brand: What does it mean to you?
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Note: This session will be centered around audience interaction, but audience members won’t need laptops to participate.
- Author of the submission
- Zachary McCune & Charles M. Roslof
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- We want to talk with you about the Wikipedia brand. Do you like how Wikipedia is portrayed in the media? What associations do people have with Wikipedia (and Wikimedia generally) where you live, and are those the associations you want them to have? What do you think of the Wikimedia movement’s visual identity?
- The discussion of those questions at this workshop (and continuing after Wikimania) will inform the Wikimedia Foundation’s brand work. One of the Foundation’s most important roles is to steward Wikipedia brand and reputation. We want to make sure we understand how the communities think of the Wikipedia brand, and that we’re emphasizing the qualities of the brand that are important to the communities.
- During this workshop, the leaders and attendees will also share our experiences with communicating about Wikipedia—what has worked well, and what hasn’t. We’ll learn from each other about effective communications strategies, and how we can support each others’ efforts to spread awareness of Wikipedia.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Attendees will have a better understanding of how the Wikipedia brand is portrayed and perceived throughout the world. By hearing about each others’ experiences, they will have new ideas and approaches for communicating about Wikipedia in their communities.
- Perhaps most importantly, though, we hope that the conversation in this workshop continues after Wikimania, so that we at the Wikimedia Foundation have more community brand guidance and can better help Wikimedia communities talk about Wikipedia and the Wikimedia movement.
- Theme of presentation
- Legal & Free Culture
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 55 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).