Submissions/The Wikipedia Killer
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 7040 - C7
- Title of the submission
The Wikipedia Killer: a simulation game about the future of Wikipedia
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
User:Ziko van Dijk
- type of submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
Germany, living in the Netherlands
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wikipedia has achieved a kind of monopoly position on the market for online encyclopedias. But the Internet as people know it changes all the time. What does that mean for Wikipedia? Will it still exist over a couple of years? It would not be the first giant that lost its position suddenly to upcoming competitors.
This simulation game will confront the participants with a ficticious, but imaginable competition for Wikipedia. After an introduction the participants work on a sound response to the challenge. The game is structured i.a. with a points system to allocate resources.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
In order to counterstrike the 'Wikipedia Killer', the participants will have to think about actual vulnerabilities of Wikipedia. They learn about the other participants attitudes, fears and opinions. The simulation game invites the participants to reconsider cherished features of Wikipedia questioned by the 'Wikipedia Killer'.
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
intermediate to advanced, as you need to know something about Wikipedia and the Wikimedia movement
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
55 min (a kind of workshop, with introduction, team work, reflection phase), if possible more
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
enough space so that people can sit in 2-4 teams (depending on number of people showing up)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Simon Villeneuve (talk) 00:52, 11 February 2017 (UTC)
- Spiritia (talk) 15:38, 12 February 2017 (UTC)
- --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 21:33, 13 February 2017 (UTC)
- MB-one (talk) 09:16, 14 February 2017 (UTC)
- WereSpielChequers (talk) 22:44, 15 February 2017 (UTC)
- Schiste (talk) 11:30, 6 March 2017 (UTC)
- --Gnom (talk) 22:40, 12 March 2017 (UTC) Let's make Wikipedia green!
- Rhododendrites (talk) 13:50, 30 March 2017 (UTC)
- Kvardek du (talk) 21:35, 8 April 2017 (UTC)
- Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 06:39, 9 April 2017 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 02:41, 10 April 2017 (UTC)