This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 7003 Subject TU
- Title of the submission
- Pronunciation remediation
- Type of submission
- Tutorial and Poster
- Author of the submission
- James Salsman
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- James Salsman
- Country of origin
- CMU Sphinx
- Personal homepage or blog
- We plan to produce free, interactive language pronunciation assessment and remediation software which may be able to improve students’ pronunciation of words six times faster than commercially available products. Millions of people worldwide currently wish to improve their pronunciation in order to gain access to better jobs and succeed at more opportunities to speak in public, on teleconferences, or to groups. Unfortunately, companies which charge for this service often frustrate students by putting too much emphasis on inconsequential mistakes. So this year we are building on the open source software we have released in our past Google Summer of Code efforts to produce the most efficient, full-featured pronunciation training software, with your help.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Attendees to the tutorial will learn how to create pronunciation assessment systems in their own languages.
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session
- One hour (15 minute presentation, 30 minutes for attendee exercises, and 15 minutes for Q&A. If additional time is available in the room as an end-of-day event, I will stay after as long as attendees want to ask additional questions.)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information
- TBD; basic format will follow a revised version of  with emphasis on customizing pre-packaged pocketsphinx.js applications for new Indo-European and tonal languages.
- Special requests
- End of day allocation of room, ideally after dinner
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).