Submissions/Patrolling with ORES and the New Filters for Edit Review beta
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 3057 - T1
- Title of the submission
- Catch Vandals and Help Newbies with ORES and New Filters for Edit Review
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation, Collaboration Team
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- New Filters for Edit Review is a new beta feature that provides an improved filtering interface and powerful filtering and other tools to the Recent Changes page. On wikis where the machine-learning service ORES is enabled, the project introduces two filter groups—Contribution Quality and User Intent—that offer probabilistic predictions about, respectively, whether or not edits are likely to contain problems and whether the users who made them were acting in good faith. The session will show how the New Filters beta tools can be used effectively to patrol for vandalism and other damage or, alternatively, to find struggling but good-faith new users who may need support. Session leaders: The session will be taught by members of the WMF Collaboration Team, which developed the New Filters for Edit Review as part of the Edit Review Improvements project. No preparation is necessary.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Participants will learn how to use the new filtering interface effectively and will be introduced to strategies for patrolling using the new machine-learning and highlighting tools. Users who may not have ORES on their wikis will get a chance to experience this advanced technology, and will learn how they can bring it to their wikis if they are interested.
- Theme of presentation
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Beginning to expert. (Bring your laptop if you have one to follow along with the exercises)
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 55 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional):
- Projector I can connect to a Mac. Tables where participants can put their laptops. Wifi.
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).