Submissions/Million+. How to increase Wikipedia volume and quality simultaneously
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. L0017
- Title of your submission
- Million+. How to increase Wikipedia volume and quality simultaneously in a short time
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Sven-Erik Soosaar
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Eesti
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- The project Miljon+ (Million+) was started in March 2017 in Estonia by University of Tartu and Wikimedia Eesti (Estonian chapter of WMF). The aim of the project is to increase the number of articles in Estonian Wikipedia from present 155 000 to 1 000 000 by 2020 and raise the quality of articles. All the commercial and non-commercial organisations are invited to participate. Universities and GLAM institutions will encourage their students and employees to write articles for Wikipedia. Different article competitions will be held during this period. The public awareness will be raised through different campaigns. To facilitate the process of article creation, a machine translation program, developed in the University of Tartu and based on neural networks will be used. The project is one of the events celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Republic of Estonia.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Attendees will learn about the project Miljon+ (Million+) aimed at increasing the volume of Estonian Wikipedia to 1 000 000 articles in 3 years time.
- Theme of presentation
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of submission
All lightning talks are 5 minutes.
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Probably yes.
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).