Submissions/Making decisions together: Tools for community listening
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 7020 Subject - GW C5
- Title of the submission
- Making decisions together: Tools for community listening
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Edward Galvez
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- EGalvez (WMF)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Listening to community voices in a balanced way is key to making decisions that are collaborative and legitimate, an important value of the movement. There are many tools we use: surveys, consultations, community wish lists, mailing lists, committees, and many, many others. These tools are each unique and are not just about getting input, but also are also a way to gather insights about needs, challenges, or opportunities of communities. These are social tools, that are often used in both social and technical spaces. In this session, participants will learn about the general practice of making decisions and will get to work through a challenge to learn how to use the various tools in order to solve specific problems.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Participants will understand a bit more about how collaborative environments work and what tools are available for making decisions together
- Participants will get to practice designing a collaborative process
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
Beginner, Intermediate, & Advanced
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- At least 45 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).