Submissions/Learn how to explain your idea in 60 seconds only!
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 7012 Subject - GW
- Title of the submission
Learn how to explain your idea in 60 seconds only!
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
Elisabeth Mandl, Wikimedia Deutschland
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
You are doing great things as a wikimedian or wikipedian! But sometimes it's hard to explain what you are doing and what you are trying to solve. Nobody has the time to hear everything in detail. And sometimes you are using terminology that no one understands or you realize you were not able to give the essentials after all. Too bad. But how can you learn to explain your idea or project in short so everyone gets it? Especially people that are not involved in the free-knowledge movement?
This workshop teaches you a method how to write your own 60-second elevator pitch. Almost anything is explainable in one minute! If you just knew how to do it.. How do you start your story? How do you get people’s attention? What do you really want to tell? Storytelling is a skill you can use in every part of your life.
In a 1-hour presentation you’ll be provided with the basics of storytelling: You'll learn how to structure your story, use clear language and to get to the core of why your idea or product rocks. This presentation includes a group assignment, so everybody has the chance to practice with a project they have in mind. The assignment will be discussed as a group.
So that in the end you can not just inform your fellow Wikipedians and Wikimedians, audience and colleagues about your cool new project idea but also convince the rest of the world.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
Participants will learn how to get to the core of their idea, structure the story and communicate it in a way so that everybody understands it.
- Theme of presentation
- WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
1 hour (presentation and group assignment)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
Depending on other submission
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 17:33, 8 April 2017 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 03:14, 9 April 2017 (UTC)
- GastelEtzwane (talk) 12:19, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- Jamie Tubers (talk) 03:41, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- Michael Jahn WMDE (talk) 10:21, 18 April 2017 (UTC)