Submissions/How good communication can help you talk to reporters, rule the world, and do other cool stuff: An introductory guide to public relations
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 7030 - TU
- Title of the submission
- How good communication can help you talk to reporters, rule the world, and do other cool stuff: An introductory guide to public relations
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Samantha Lien, Gregory Varnum
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- slienwikimedia.org, gvarnumwikimedia.org
- Country of origin
- United States of America
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Wikimedia Foundation Communications department
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Have you ever had someone ask you how Wikipedia works, or why they cannot add an article about themselves? Have you ever wanted to tell the public about a project or invite people to join? Have you tried to summarize the Wikimedia movement in 20 words or less?
Communicating the Wikimedia movement can be hard, but it can also be AWESOME. We are here to talk about some practical ways to talk about Wikipedia, the Wikimedia projects, and the movement with journalists, the public, new volunteers, and anyone else who might be new (or even not so new!) to the movement.
We will go over what kinds of things you can achieve with good communications and messaging, some practices that have worked well for us (the Wikimedia Foundation Communications department), challenges around how to communicate a global movement with every person in the world, and brainstorm how we might be able to do more together in the world of media and public relations.
We will also make a survey available beforehand so people thinking about attending this session can share their ideas and requests with us in advance.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- How to accomplish your movement and community goals with good communication
- Practical skills to write a strong message about Wikipedia and the Wikimedia movement in a variety of channels (interviews, press releases, etc.)
- Ways to engage in media and PR with the Wikimedia Foundation communications team
- An understanding of challenges to communicating the movement, and possible solutions
- A network of Wikimedia people interested in collaborating in media and PR in the movement!
- Theme of presentation
- WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 55 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 11:20, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- GastelEtzwane (talk) 12:07, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- Jamie Tubers (talk) 03:16, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- ShreCk (talk) 16:16, 13 April 2017 (UTC)
- MtDu (talk) 12:11, 11 August 2017 (UTC) x2
- --Ліонкінг (talk) 15:02, 11 August 2017 (UTC)
- --Ziko (talk) 15:04, 11 August 2017 (UTC)
- DasMonstaaa (talk) 15:09, 11 August 2017 (UTC)