Submissions/Etytree: A Graphical and Interactive Etymology Dictionary Based on Wiktionary
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 7001 Subject L2
- Title of the submission
The genealogy of words: a database of etymological relationships and a graphical multilingual etymology dictionary
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- type of submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
freelance; Wikimedia Foundation grantee
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
This presentation will give a quick overview on "etytree", a tool that is being developed through an IEG grant from the Wikimedia Foundation and that comes with an associated database of etymological relationships between words. Users can search words and visualize their "etymological tree", i.e., their ancestors, descendants, and cognates in any language using data extracted from Wiktionary. With "etytree" users can discover new words that derive from the same ancestral word, both in their own language and in other languages. The database is synchronized with the English Wiktionary at each new dump release.
A preliminary version of "etytree" is available at tools.wmflabs.org/etytree
Everyone is welcome to attend the lightning talk. Suggestions, feedback, and help are very welcome!
- What will attendees take away from this session?
During this session attendees will interact with the developer of "etytree", a new interactive and multilingual tool based on the English Wiktionary to visualize the origin of words, and will also learn about the associated database. They will see a demo of the tool and will have the opportunity to give ideas and feedback to the project, and possibly volunteer.
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
Yes, I have a scholarship from Wikimedia Italia.
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Jsamwrites (talk) 18:10, 15 March 2017 (UTC)
- This is a wonderful topic, and the work that was done till now is brilliant and innovative. I'd love to hear more, and I'd love to see continued development of this project. --Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 15:00, 8 April 2017 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 03:00, 9 April 2017 (UTC)
- Visem (talk) 20:14, 13 August 2017 (UTC)