Submissions/Elections, politics and Wikipedia. The mexican case
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 2097 - C6
- Title of the submission
- Elections, politics and Wikipedia. The mexican case.
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Wikipedia is one the most pages of info consulted on Internet. That means everybody wants to be on it. Many persons considers Wikipedia only from the perspective of a promotional space even when it's rules and WP:NPOW state clearly that it's not allow self promotion. Policitics is one of the most active sector where that kind of practices are increasing. Sometimes the community can detect and stop that promotional activity and others can't. Mexico is a notorius case where politics even those of low range are increasing their presence on Wikipedia. We will analyse and compare the data given by Wikidata about mexican politicians and compare them with campaings and mexican electoral time in order to detect patterns.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Attendees will learn from a specific case of a country the behavior of promotional systematic activities on Wikipedia, and we can conclude in actions to avoid them.
- Theme of presentation
* WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Intermediate. Previous basic knowldege of Wikipedia rules of WP:NPOV and Terms and Conditions.
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 30-40 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).