Submissions/Documenting the Terracotta Temples and Mosques of West Bengal
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. L-0006
- Title of the submission
- Documenting the Terracotta Temples and Mosques of West Bengal
- Type of submission (lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- lightning talk
- Author of the submission
- Sumit Surai
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- The terracotta temples and mosques of West Bengal are not only examples of artistic mastery, but also, through its panels, tells us socio-economic and religious conditions of the past centuries. Though some of them are today restored and maintained by the Archeological Survey of India, most of them are in really bad stage. The terracotta panels are disappearing / being damaged each passing day. If we can't document what little is left, there would come a day when all evidences will be gone. Through Wikipedia and Commons we can try to document whatever is left. The idea came with a photowalk in Kalna as part of the Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 where Wikimedians from West Bengal shot terracotta temples and its panels. With limited time in hand we managed to shoot only few panels. If we can give more time and shoot each temple along with the panels in detail it will be a great documentation project. Along with shooting the panels, we can gather resources on the temples and create articles on them. But not all temples are notable enough to have a separate article. For them we can keep all panel images categorized properly in Commons. Along with it we would be consulting specialists who would help us depict the stories told in each panel. This can be added in detail to the photo description. Together the project can help document and store the panels' images as they are today. In this talk I would like to share what steps and plans we have to handle this project in the most efficient way, and how to gather information and store them in Wikipedia and Commons.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Attendees will get to know what issues we faced and what plan we have about the project. This might help them in similar projects near their home. Also they can come up with ideas and share them which might be helpful for us to plan this project more efficiently too.
- Theme of presentation
- Sister Projects
- All lightning talks are 5 minutes. If this is a discussion session, length of session requested
- 5 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Yes, depending on scholarship
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Would require a laptop and projector. Would carry my powerpoint presentation file in flash drive.
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final? Final
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).