Submissions/Develop your persuasive point: A messaging workshop using 27-9-3
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 5010 Subject - GW
- Title of the submission
Develop your persuasive point: Crafting an elevator pitch using 27-9-3
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
jonesm at oclc.org
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
WebJunction, OCLC, a non-profit dedicated to serving the global library community
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
As most Wikimedians understand all too well, crafting a persuasive and convincing message succinctly is difficult. This workshop introduces the 27-9-3 rule as a method for making a persuasive point. It's the elevator pitch workshop! Learn the history of the 27-9-3 rule and gain instruction on the method. Develop your own persuasive point (or two points, if you are quick and eager). We will conclude with presentations of your persuasive points.
Attend with your user group or friend-editors, or try your hand at messaging alone. Whether you have a specific message in mind—for instance, asking for external funding or convincing prospective editors to attend an event—or prefer the surprise of messaging from the basket of mock-scenarios the workshop facilitators provide, all are welcome. This workshop will be a generative space. Attend to improve your own messaging, workshop together, and to hear what other Wikimedians are up to—succinctly.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
You will leave this session with a succinct message in hand. You will be ready for that elevator ride! Your message will make a convincing point to a targeted audience about a topic or theme that is relevant to your engagement with the Wikimedia movement. In addition, you will have learned a handy technique for developing persuasive points in the future.
- Theme of presentation
- WikiCulture & Community, GLAM, Education, Sister Projects, Partnership building
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).