Submissions/Create your first map with QGIS
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 3040 - TW
- Title of the submission
- Create your first map with QGIS
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Language of presentation
- English and/or French
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- member of Wikimedia France
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
In this workshop you will learn the basics of QGIS and create your first map. This is a very useful skill even in the time of dynamic web-maps. You get to decide which information to show and what to highlight. The data for the map will come from free sources and maybe even a Wikidata query. It will also be explained how to convert it to SVG and upload it to Commons.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
Attendees will have a basic understanding of using a GIS program, how to start a mapping project and how and where to find help.
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
For beginners, but you should be able to install a program and bring a mouse!
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
We probably need 2 hours.
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Will be posted here.
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final? Final
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).