Submissions/Challenge Accepted - What Community Liaisons do, challenges we face, and how you can help
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 2037 Subject - C10
- Title of the submission
- Challenge Accepted - What Community Liaisons do, challenges we face, and how you can help
- Type of submission
- Panel (with a brief introduction)
- Author of the submission
- CKoerner (WMF), Elitre (WMF), Trizek (WMF), Quiddity (WMF)
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- CKoerner (WMF)
- Country of origin
- USA, Italy, France
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
The Wikimedia Foundation Community Liaisons serve readers, contributors, and the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) by supporting the WMF Product and Engineering departments in their collaboration with the communities of WMF-hosted sites. We inform the WMF of communities' views and particular needs about software products; and we inform the communities during the whole process of development of said software, and facilitate its adoption.
As liaisons we face many challenges. The foundation has many active products being developed. Our movement is global and diverse. In this panel session we would like to share a little background into the work of Liaisons. Generally bringing clarity to what we do and don’t do. We will then host a discussion with interested attendees how we can address challenges in four key areas:
- facilitating communications from and to the WMF's Product and Engineering departments
- assisting with testing, bug filing, documentation writing
- delivering announcements, news, and feedback
- engaging translators for the user interface and for documentation
The session will be hosted by 4 panelists. It will be facilitated by Keegan (WMF). We will propose challenges in each of these areas to discuss and reflect upon. For example, under "engaging translators” we might put forth a question such as, “Tech News: How do we get translations from 20 languages to 30?”
We will spend a few minutes discussing each challenge and document suggested solutions as a group in the time allotted.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
The end results are fourfold.
- Attendees will have a better understanding of the scope of work Community Liaisons perform.
- Attendees will have an opportunity to provide input into how liaisons might address the challenges put forth and optionally become more involved in the collaboration process.
- Attendees will have learned how the challenges faced are shared and how we can successfully work together.
- Attendees will be empowered to apply best practices and shared experiences to make their own initiatives in community discourse successful.
- Theme of presentation
WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 55 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
We'd appreciate getting a room where chairs or tables can be arranged so that there are four main groups seated in circles.
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).