Submissions/Cats, goats and awesome requests: Highlights from the Technical Wishlist
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 3036 Subject - T3 TW
- Title of the submission
Cats, goats and awesome requests: Highlights from the Technical Wishlist
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
Roundtable discussion, workshop
- Author of the submission
Adam Shorland, Birgit Müller, Christoph Jauera
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
Germany, United Kingdom
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
In June 2017 we will run the 3rd technical wishlist survey on German Wikipedia, but software development doesn’t happen on an island somewhere in Europe: The wishlist features are developed for all language projects and in close collaboration with both, communities and WMF teams.
In this session we want to introduce to the top wishes of the 2017 survey and gather feedback from editors and developers from all over the world. Let’s discuss your thoughts on these awesome requests: Do you already have some ideas in mind? What could the new feature look like? How can we make sure that it’s easy to use? And what about the concrete implementation?
With the wishlist survey we gain a prioritised list of the currently most wanted features. The top wishes contain ideas for improved tools and workflows as well as for new functionalities for the daily work in the Wikimedia projects.
The Technical Wishes Project accompanies the whole process starting with the survey till the final implementation. Some features realized in the past taken from the German technical wishlist are for example the RevisionSlider extension, the CatWatch feature or the mention notifications.
All insights in your workflows, ideas and concerns you have according to one of the wishes are very welcome! The 2017 toplist will be published in July 2017.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
Attendees get a detailed overview of the outcome of this years technical wishlist survey. They will have the chance to discuss the top wishes with the developers and their feedback will be considered to get the best results when fulfilling these wishes. Furthermore they can get inspiration and encouragement to form their own ideas and requests.
- Theme of presentation
Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
All levels / editors and developers
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 10:34, 11 April 2017 (UTC)