Submissions/Bikol Wikipedia: its Impact as a Local Resource
- Submission no. 6002 Subject - E1
- Title of the submission
- Bikol Wikipedia: its Impact as a Local Resource
Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion): Lightning talk
- Author of the submission
- Irvin Parco Sto. Tomas
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- PhilWiki Community
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
The Bikol Wikipedia was launched in 2007. Inspite of its slow growth and small size compared with other Wikipedia projects, it has become a useful online source of information. Over the past decade, information taken from the website have been utilized in various forms, whether with or without proper attribution, by individuals as well as institutions to share knowledge to a wide audience such as book, poster, pamphlet among others. This goes to show that small things do make difference.
This paper will attempt to measure the impact of the Bikol Wikipedia as one of the resources of information in Bicol region, the Philippines. Specifically, it will answer the following:
1. What are the publications which use the Bikol Wikipedia as a reference?
2. How was the information utililized in the publication?
3. What is the readership of these publications?
The study limits itself to locally produced publications which utilized images and/or articles from the Bikol Wikipedia. The publications include books, magazines, posters and any printed form produced for information dissemination.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
Attendees will gain insight into a small project like the Bikol Wikipedia which is run by a small community but makes an impact to the readers.
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience? Beginning
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- This is really important. Hearing from languages from which we never hear anywhere is one of the primary things Wikimania should be about. Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 14:36, 8 April 2017 (UTC)