Submissions/Better branding for Wikimedia: lessons from the 2016 Wikimedia Foundation brand update
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 2070 Subject - C10
- Title of the submission
- Better branding for Wikimedia: lessons from the 2016 Wikimedia Foundation brand update
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Zachary McCune, Heather Walls
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- zmccunewikimedia.org, hwallswikimedia.org
- Country of origin
- United States of America
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Wikimedia Foundation Communications department
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wikimedia has had a rich and complex history when it comes to design and identity. From logo contests to colorful localization, our branded materials are authentic but don’t always tell a unified story. One step in our efforts to grow this incredible global brand built by volunteers is to share some easy to use-and-revise materials for your user group, chapter, or project.
In 2016, the Wikimedia Foundation's Communications department worked with the rest of the Foundation to revise our branded materials. During this process, we changed our logo to include free fonts, and built guidelines and templates for common use cases: presentations, event badges, report documents, and more. We also ran workshops to teach staff and stakeholders how to best use our new materials.
We want to make the materials, and what we learned in the process, available to everyone. Ultimately we want to work together on increased trust in the Wikimedia brand through consistent visual design.
We will also be making a survey available beforehand so people thinking about attending this session can share their ideas and requests with us in advance.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Increased understanding of Wikimedia Foundation brand materials and planned activities.
- Sharing of our materials for the use or remix of anyone interested.
- Time set aside to tell the Foundation your future branding hopes.
- Theme of presentation
- WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 55 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).