This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Type of submission
Birds of a feather discussion
- Author of the submission
Jackie Koerner, PhD
- Language of presentation
English, but would welcome discussion in French as well if other French-speaking facilitators would like to join!
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
Visiting Scholar with San Francisco State University and the Wiki Education Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
This is a session for everyone who is an academic or scholar contributing to Wikimedia projects. Not all academic areas consider Wikipedia and other projects something worthy of academics and scholars. Of course, we disagree! Let’s gather to talk about our experiences, challenges, and successes regarding being academics or scholars and contributing to Wikimedia projects. During this session our group will create one outline of guidance for academics and scholars bridging the gap between wiki scholarship and traditional education. This will include suggestions for the individual deepening their growth on-wiki as well as advocating for wiki in the traditional educational environment.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Discuss navigating between wiki scholarship and traditional education roles
- Connect with other academics and scholars contributing to Wikipedia and other projects
- Identify best practices and guidance for academics and scholars bridging the gap between wiki scholarship and traditional education
- Theme of presentation
WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session requested
Standard length of BoF
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).