Submissions/Template styling: how to make your templates mobile-friendly
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 3061 - T3
- Title of the submission
- Template styling: how to make your templates mobile-friendly
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- npangarkar (WMF)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Most Wikimedia templates are designed by desktop users for desktop. By definition, this means they are not optimized for mobile devices, even though ~50% of our traffic is from mobile devices. For some time, the Wikimedia Foundation's designers have been adding styling changes on top of templates to accommodate for mobile, but this is neither scalable or in the wiki spirit.
The Wikimedia Foundation, in partnership with user Coren are rolling out a way for editors to create template-specific styling. One key element will be the ability to have separate styles for mobile v. desktop devices. This will provide template editors with the tools to determine how a template looks on mobile and desktop.
In this workshop, we will go over how to edit the style for a template as well as review some best practices when styling for different device types.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
How to edit a template's style and how to optimize a template for mobile consumption.
- Theme of presentation
Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
beginning, intermediate advanced
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 45 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
A projector for sharing a screen.
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Thiemo Mättig (WMDE) (talk) 13:38, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 13:44, 12 April 2017 (UTC)